Why are there two twilights: civil and nautical?
There aren't two twilights. There are three: civil, nautical and astronomical. Some people say there is a fourth - actual twilight - but this is confusing enough as it is so we'll stick to three.
In a nutshell, twilight is the period before sunrise and after sunset when the sun's light is not shining directly on Earth but is diffused by the upper atmosphere, casting various degrees of illumination on us.
Unless you are sailor or astronomer, you really don't have to worry about all this. Come to think of it, you probably really don't have to worry much about civil twilight, but I suppose you might have your reasons for doing so.
Civil twilight is the period before sunrise and after sunset when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon.
During civil twilight, there is enough illumination to work outside without artificial lighting. It's a good time to do stuff in peace and quiet while there aren't many people around, like sneaking over to your neighbors' driveway to "borrow" their Republic.
Nautical twilight is the period after sunset and before sunrise when the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon.
This is when the horizon at sea can be made out but it is still dark enough to see the major stars. That means sailors can use a sextant to get their morning or evening bearings.
I don't know how many sailors still use sextants, but I suppose there are some.
Astronomical twilight is the period before sunrise and after sunset when the sun is 12 to 18 degrees below the horizon.
The hours between the night and morning twilights are when it is dark enough to do some serious astronomy.
by Clay Thompson, columnist The Arizona Republic Sept. 19, 2010 12:00 AM
This is about types of twilight (not the vampire kind)
- ► 2017 (17)
- ► 2016 (24)
- ► 2015 (46)
- ► 2014 (31)
- ► 2013 (53)
- ► 2012 (80)
- ► 2011 (249)
- One Piece Discoveries & Beautiful Aurora Photos Ga...
- Dance of the Planets Gets Intimate : Discovery New...
- Surrealism is Destructive « mischief & impermanent...
- Early birds may get the worm, but late birds get t...
- YouTube - CARDBOARD a cardboard animation!
- Bad News - A Media Fiction
- So Special...
- Re-Visited on the Behance Network
- Surrealismo - Buscar con Google
- YouTube - Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross - The Gentle...
- My Heart
- Where Professional Models Meet Model Photographers...
- YouTube - Lemon Jelly Experiment NO.6.
- This is about types of twilight (not the vampire k...
- Mackay: Compromise is art to get the job done
- Frankie Stein
- Fantagraphics Books - Fantagraphics Acquires Lost ...
- Sleepy pup
- Tips for job applicants, businesses
- Ferrari 458 Italia (2011)
- YouTube - Gigi D'Agostino- Bla Bla Bla
- YouTube - Zero 7-Pop Art Blue
- Optimistic about nothing. on Vimeo
- YouTube - The end
- YouTube - PeeGun Version2
- 7 tips to make your resume stand out
- Obit: Pulitzer-winning political cartoonist Paul C...
- Eagle statue may return to Scottsdale Airpark
- Love Motions
- YouTube - Pop Art - Liquid Sky
- YouTube - Daft Punk - Technologic
- Grains of pollen as seen by an electron microscope...
- Watch out, Barbie: Mattel's edgy Monster High is i...
- Beetle Bailey Turns 60, Not Going Anywhere
- Chen talks China, life, career
- Negotiate the best pay from new job
- No shortcuts in marathon of business
- Gilbert Ortega family divided over control of empi...
- NASA - NASA Asks Public for Final Shuttle Missions...
- YouTube - Extraordinary Pantene Commercial
- YouTube - Dancing Merengue Dog
- ▼ September (43)