The Cave Creek Town Council will discuss the drafting of a medical-marijuana ordinance at Monday's meeting.
Town Clerk Carrie Dyrek said no decisions will be made about the ordinance, but the council will focus on how to regulate medical marijuana in Cave Creek.
Under a new state law, municipalities are allowed to set zoning rules for medical marijuana. This includes where dispensaries can be located and where marijuana can be grown.
"We can't forbid pot, but the council can choose to encourage it or discourage it," Dyrek said.
The council will have two model ordinances from which to get direction, one with strict and one other with loose regulations. Officials say Cave Creek's ordinance will probably fall somewhere between the two examples.
Action will be taken at a future meeting, which has not been set.
In November, voters narrowly approved Proposition 203, the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act, legalizing marijuana for medical use.
Action items on Monday's agenda include a grant to fund the construction, operation and maintenance of the Cave Creek Flood Hazard Reduction Project; and funding for the design, project management, paving and drainage along a portion of Morning Star Road, in north Cave Creek.
Town Engineer Wayne Anderson said Morning Star Road is one of the most traveled dirt roads in Cave Creek.
Monday's meeting begins at 7 p.m. at Cave Creek Town Hall, 37622 N. Cave Creek Road.
by Philip Haldiman The Arizona Republic Mar. 5, 2011 05:03 AM
Cave Creek to discuss regulating medical marijuana
- ► 2016 (24)
- ► 2015 (46)
- ► 2014 (31)
- ► 2013 (53)
- ► 2012 (80)
- Cars That Will Make You Cool- Yahoo! Autos Article...
- Phoenix medical marijuana locations reflect restri...
- Paradise Valley asked to OK permit for marijuana d...
- Scottsdale panel recommends first marijuana dispen...
- VOGUE HOMMES JAPAN #6 / MUGLER SPECIAL | Ink Butte...
- Mackay: Customers need positive staff vibe
- Boxing Cat
- Mike Luckovich on oil prices | Mike Luckovich cart...
- Mackay: Hard work plus ambition equals success
- Benson Cartoons - Political Cartoons - The Arizona...
- Sometimes the Stars on Vimeo
- Benson Cartoons - Political Cartoons
- Lasik Eye Surgery!?
- Mackay: Put focus on next success
- Cave Creek to discuss regulating medical marijuana...
- Michael Ramirez Editorial Cartoon, March 02, 2011 ...
- Michael Ramirez Editorial Cartoon on GoComics.com
- Explore, identify and evaluate those unrealistic e...
- ▼ March (18)