Pinal County supervisors are expected to vote later this month on a medical-marijuana ordinance that would allow dispensaries in strip malls.
They discussed a draft that would put pot outlets in the same zoning category as general business, amusement or recreational enterprises.
A number of Arizona communities have proposed or approved ordinances restricting medical-marijuana dispensaries to industrial zones.
That plan wouldn't work in Pinal County, Deputy County Attorney Seymour Gruber said.
"Industrial zones were too far from major streets," Gruber said. "Our intent was to have them in highly visible zones, which can lead to monitoring by citizens and law enforcement and better access for patients."
The draft says a dispensary cannot set up shop within at least 10 miles of another medical-marijuana facility and must be more than a quarter mile from a school, child-care center, library, public park, church, or abuse-treatment facility.
The state health department last week released its second draft of medical-marijuana rules, which suggests one dispensary for each Community Health Analysis Area, based on geography and population. There are 126 areas in the state.
Pinal County has a dozen Community Health Analysis areas, but only eight may be subject to county rules. The other four are on tribal land.
by Lindsey Collom The Arizona Republic Feb. 10, 2011 12:00 AM
Pot outlets may be OK'd in strip malls in Pinal
- ► 2016 (24)
- ► 2015 (46)
- ► 2014 (31)
- ► 2013 (53)
- ► 2012 (80)
- March stargazing: Celestial twins ride high
- Calif. emporium is a medical-pot superstore
- YouTube - Hot Chocolate (I Believe in Miracles)
- YouTube - Love Fool
- Temp work can lead to permanent position
- Talent is Important, But Winning is the Goal : Lif...
- The Benefits of Hiring Tier-One Talent
- Mackay: 'Impossible' is simply a frame of mind
- Speaking 2 languages could delay Alzheimer's
- 3 doctors submit plans for upscale marijuana dispe...
- Secrets to climbing the ladder faster
- Don't blame boss; take control of your happiness
- Mackay: Self-esteem drives us to succeed
- Yeaahh, Business Cat Needs You to Come In On Catur...
- Black Swan Fan Art
- Fashion Shows - Coverage from New York, Paris and ...
- Vogue Releases Lady Gaga-Focused iPad-Only Magazin...
- Living Room Ready for Liftoff - Yahoo! Real Estate...
- 10 Best Beach Destinations
- Pot outlets may be OK'd in strip malls in Pinal
- Arizona police study medical-marijuana law
- Mackay: Frustrated customer offers lessons
- Arizona law may allow marijuana in some parks
- Top banned Super Bowl Commercials: Jesus Hates Oba...
- 'The Illusionist'
- YouTube - Moby - Natural Blues Video
- House bill would ban marijuana alternative
- Brain drives new 'Body Worlds' exhibit
- Marijuana-dispensary rules listed
- Mackay: Great ideas, right touch yield sales
- Collector-car mogul's home features palatial garag...
- J.D. Salinger's life caught by author Slawenski
- Distant galaxy may be oldest ever seen
- Split Scottsdale council opts for strict medical-p...
- Mackay: Bosses must be inspiring, not menacing
- ▼ February (35)